Traffic and air pollution
People are increasingly dependent on their cars. The more we drive, the more nitrogen dioxide and particulate matter our cars produce and the less active we become.
The Royal Borough and much of London suffers from poor air quality. High concentrations of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) from road traffic exhaust pose a significant risk to health. Estimates suggest that 25% of early deaths in the borough are attributable to poor air quality. We want to change that.
School travel plans
Since the 1980s more and more children are travelling to school by car. This affects children’s health with obesity levels almost doubling since 1995.
We are committed to encouraging more children to travel to school on foot, bicycle or scooter through implementing travel plans.
Working in partnership with our Sustainable Travel Team, we currently have over 40 schools with travel plans in place. Read about school travel plans.
Workplace travel plans
We offer a free advice service to local businesses to encourage healthier and more sustainable ways of getting to work such as:
We do this through:
- providing free cycle parking on your premises or on the nearest pavement space to your business
- supporting active travel by helping you install new showers and lockers for staff, or advising you on outside lighting and CCTV
- providing marketing materials and support to help you encourage staff to get involved
Encouraging active ways of getting to work can:
- reduce costs such as staff expenses, car park charges, congestion charging and fleet management costs
- help reduce polltion in the borough
- help you become an environmentally conscious employer
- create a healthier workplace with increased productivity and less sickness absence
To find out more about our services contact the Sustainable Travel Team 020 7361 2521.
For workplace travel advice call 020 7361 4259.