What is an 'advertisement'?

The term “advertisement” covers a very wide range of advertisements and signs including:

  • posters and notices
  • placards and boards
  • fascia signs and projecting signs
  • pole signs and canopy signs
  • models and devices
  • advance signs and directional signs
  • estate agents' boards
  • captive balloon advertising (not balloons in flight)
  • flag advertisements
  • price markers and price displays
  • traffic signs
  • town and village name-signs

Memorials and railway signals are not regarded as advertisements.

The advertisement regulations control the display of advertisements and signs. This includes shop signs, estate agents’ boards, hoardings and flags.

Some advertisements may benefit from “deemed” consent or “express” consent may be needed before they can be displayed.

  • Deemed consent permits the display of certain types of advertisement without the need for specific permission from the LPA.
  • Express consent is granted by the local planning authority (LPA) or, on appeal, by the Secretary of State, in response to a specific application to display an advertisement. If the advertisement requires express consent, you need to apply for advertisement consent.

Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers will help you understand whether you need to apply for advertisement consent.

Planning Portal Guidance can also be useful.

In addition, if your property is a listed building (or part of), you must always apply for listed building consent.

When deciding applications for planning permission, local authorities will have regard only to considerations of 'amenity' and 'public safety'.

Estate Agents Boards

Estate agent boards are not permitted to be displayed in the areas detailed below unless “express consent” has been given by the Council. In other areas they can be displayed under “deemed consent”. The detailed view of the map can be found on our digital planning map by turning on the “Regulation 7 Direction” layer.

Borough Wide Map also provides a general overview and identifies areas hatched brown where “deemed consent” given by Schedule 3, Part 1, Class 3A of the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007 has been withdrawn.

The current Direction withdrawing “deemed consent” came into force on 18 August 2021 for a period of 10 years.


The list below details supporting documents that you might need to submit as part of your application. Refer to each section to determine what you need to submit. Full requirements for all types of applications are set out in the Local Validation List.

Validation Requirement What information is required
Application Form

The application form is available on the Planning Portal. To access it, sign in, select ‘start new application’, then select the desired application.

Please ensure that you have completed every section of the application form before submitting. Where sections or questions are not relevant, please state this on the form.

Appropriate fee

Any application that requires a fee to be paid – please see the current fee regulations (November 2012 onwards) available at: A Guide to the Fees for Planning Applications in England.

Full payment at the time of submission by cheque, debit or credit card.

Cheques made payable to RBKC. A covering letter explaining how the fee has been calculated is useful.

Site Location Plan Up to date map at a scale of 1:1250 or 1:2500. Application site must be clearly edged with a red line and include all land required for the proposed development. Any other land within the control or ownership of the applicant, that is adjacent or close to the application site, should be edged with a blue line.
Site Plan A site plan at a scale of either 1:200 or 1:500 accurately showing direction of north, proposed development in relation to the site boundaries and other existing buildings on site, all neighbouring buildings, roads and footpaths on land adjoining the site including access arrangements, all public rights of way crossing or adjoining the site.
Existing and Proposed elevations

Drawings at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100 (1:50 often preferable), illustrating all relevant external parts. Show existing and proposed elevations beside each other if possible. Where a proposed elevation adjoins another building, or is in close proximity, the drawing should clearly show the relationship between the buildings and detail the relative positions of openings, parapets, levels etc on each property. Blank elevations should also be included for clarity. All drawings must include a scale bar showing lengths of 1m and 10m, and key dimensions. All plans should include the paper size, scale and must show the direction of north.

The drawings should indicate advertisement size, siting, materials and colours to be used, height above ground, extent of projection and details of the method and colour(s) of illumination (if applicable).

Lighting Assessment

Required if application includes proposals for illuminated signage or the installation of lighting.

Submit details of external lighting and the proposed hours when the lighting would be switched on. These details should include a clear layout plan with light spread and beam orientation if applicable, and a diagram showing the intensity of illumination – can be annotated on submitted plans.

Guidance for designing unobtrusive external lighting is provided by the Institution of Lighting Professionals in their Guidance Note 01/21 ‘The Reduction of Obtrusive Light’.

Last updated: 19 October 2023