Other development approvals

Possible development approvals

Planning permission is just one element of a development project. You may need other approvals detailed on this page even if you already have planning permission.


Building regulations

Building regulations set design and construction standards to ensure:

  • buildings are safe and healthy
  • fuel and power is conserved
  • buildings and facilities are accessible for everyone

For many types of building work there are separate permissions that you may need to appy for. To find out if your proposal needs consent:


Pavement crossovers

A pavement crossover allows a vehicle to cross a pavement into a driveway.

If you want to build a pavement crossover at your premises you need to apply for permission. The application is free, but there is a fee for the construction which is charged by the Council’s Highways Department. The fee depends on the site and any issues such as utilities and trees.


Environmental health

You will need to refer to our Code of Good Practice if your proposal involves:

  • the preparation and sale of food to the public
  • construction or demolition works which may cause noise or other disturbance
  • providing new or modifying existing refuse storage facilities

Contact our Environmental Health team on 020 7361 3002 for more information.


Highways licence

If you want to put tables and chairs on a pavement, you need a highways licence which is renewable each year.

Contact StreetLine on 020 7361 3001 for more information.

Read more about highways licences on the Parking, transport and streets pages.


Party walls

Some kinds of development work may be covered by the Party Wall Act 1996 which has different requirements to building regulations.

Read more about party walls.



There may be covenants or other restrictions in the title to your property or conditions in your lease which mean you need someone else's agreement before you do any work to your property.

The Council isn't responsible for checking or enforcing private rights such as a "right to light" so you would need to consult a lawyer.


Rights of way

If your proposed development obstructs a public path which crosses your property, contact us to discuss your plans.

Planning permission doesn't give you the right to interfere with, obstruct or move a path. The Council needs to make an order to divert or close it to allow the development to go ahead.

Read about the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000.


Licensed sites and premises

If your premises sells alcohol or is a public entertainment venue you may need special licensing arrangements and other permissions.

Find out about licensing.



Last updated: 12 May 2020