Council tax reduction

Each local authority has designed its own Council Tax Reduction scheme to help people on low income with their council tax bills. 

About our scheme

We have based our current Council Tax Reduction scheme on the Government’s Default Scheme, which replicates the old Council Tax Benefit scheme.

The Default Scheme is set out in the Council Tax Reductions Schemes (Default Scheme) (England) Regulations 2012. You can read the full regulations on the Government's legislation website. 

We increase the allowances in our Council Tax Reduction scheme at the start of each financial year in line with increases in the Housing Benefit scheme.

The quickest way to claim Council Tax Reduction is by completing the online Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit application form. You can also retrieve a previously saved form.

If this you are unable to complete the online form, you can:

  • email us at: to request a paper copy but make sure you include your name and address
  • phone us on 020 7361 3006 and ask for a paper copy. If you would like advice on completing the form call us and we can phone you back so you don't have to worry about your phone bill
  • visit us and see someone from the New Claims Team. You can make an appointment or visit the Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX (opening times 8.30 to 5pm Monday to Friday)
  • request a visit. If you have a special need. For example, if you are elderly or disabled you can request a home visit.