Council Tax Reduction
Each local authority has its own Council Tax Reduction scheme. This is to help people on low income with their council tax bills.
You may qualify if you are:
- on a pension
- in low-paid employment
- if you receive Universal Credit or other means-tested benefits
About our scheme
We have based our Council Tax Reduction scheme on the Government’s Default Scheme. This replicates the old Council Tax Benefit scheme.
You can read the full regulations on the Government's Default Scheme.
We increase the allowances in our Council Tax Reduction scheme at the start of each financial year in line with increases in the Housing Benefit scheme.
The quickest way to claim Council Tax Reduction is by completing the Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit application form online.
You can also retrieve a previously saved form.
If you are unable to complete the online form, you can:
- email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org to request a paper copy, but make sure you include your name and address
- phone us on 020 7361 3006 and ask for a paper copy. If you would like advice, call us. We can phone you back so you don't have to worry about your phone bill
- visit us and see someone from the New Claims Team. You can make an appointment or visit the Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX (opening times 8.30 to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- request a visit. If you have a special need, for example, or if you are elderly or disabled, you can request a home visit.