Markets and street trading
We are now processing the applications received from new potential traders from March 2023. Please bear with us while we clear the backlog- all new traders should receive a response within 2 weeks- We thank you for your patience.
Please note: We current have restrictions on the following commodities
- Jewellery including charms, crystals, precious & semi-precious gemstones and adornments
- Ladies clothing,
- Bags and handbags of any kind
When applying, please ensure to attach a couple of images or weblink with your application to prevent a delay in getting a decision made.
Markets and street trading
Our local markets are diverse and offer a variety of goods. We license traders in:
- Golborne Road market - visit the Golborne Road website
- Portobello Road market - visit the Portobello Road website
- selected isolated sites across the borough
Golborne Road market
- antiques - goods over fifty years old
- new goods including clothing, accessories and goods not being sold by any other trader
- second hand goods
Portobello Road market
- antiques - goods over fifty years old (Fridays only)
- CE-marked children's toys
- designer-maker products - goods designed and/or made by the trader
- homeware such as bedding, kitchen ware, household goods, crockery and glassware
- very unusual goods not being sold by other traders
How to apply
We are currently not taking any applications for street food sites and limited number of applications in most other commodities.
Before you apply, make sure you visit our markets to fact find and research the area.
To apply, email [email protected].
You will need to send us:
- a full description of the goods you want to sell
- images of your goods (as an attachment) - we do not need an image for every item
- your web address if you have one
- full contact information
How we process applications
All new registrations are consisidered in the order received. What you want to sell is considered and weighed up in relation to other trdaers in the market already selling those goods.
If the market has too many of the same product your application could be fdeclined.
If your goods are accpeted, you will then receive an email invitation to attend the office to complete your registration. You will need to bring:
- the confirmation email we sent you - a printed copy or on your phone
- proof of your address such as a recent utility bill or bank statement - we don't accept mobile phone bills or goods invoices
- proof of your National Insurance number such as your NI card, a pay slip or P45
- your passport, National ID card or driving licence photocard
- NMTF card or public liability insurance certificate with a minimum cover of £5 million
You can buy public liability insurance from an insurance broker or from:
All street traders must comply with our market standard conditions.
Frequently asked questions
Read our markets and street trading FAQs.
Permanent Site Waiting list
Read our Permanent Site Waiting list policy.
The Council has launched its new Markets Plan 2022-2027, a five-year plan for Portobello Market and across Kensington and Chelsea that will see 46 actions introduced with sustainability, enterprise, events and support for traders at the forefront. You can view the full document below.
Other local markets
The Council is not responsible for all markets in the borough. These include:
Last updated: 15 September 2023