Markets and street trading

Permanent traders

This year is Licence renewal. We have written and invited you to attend the office to complete your renewals this month. Please make sure you read through your invitation thoroughly to help us complete the process as quick as possible. If you have any questions please pop into the office and we can help you.

All new registrations are on hold until the New Year while we complete our renewals. You are welcome to send through your applications but they will be on hold for the time being.

Markets and street trading

Our local markets are diverse and offer a variety of goods. We license traders in:

Golborne Road market

  • antiques - goods over fifty years old
  • new goods including clothing, accessories and goods not being sold by any other trader
  • second hand goods

Portobello Road market

  • antiques - goods over fifty years old (Fridays only)
  • CE-marked children's toys
  • designer-maker products - goods designed and/or made by the trader
  • homeware such as bedding, kitchen ware, household goods, crockery and glassware
  • menswear
  • very unusual goods not being sold by other traders

How to apply

Registrations update:

We are currently not taking any applications for hot street food sites and limited number of application in most other commodities. 

Before you apply, make sure you visit our markets to fact find and research the area.

To apply, email

You will need to send us:

  • a full description of the goods you want to sell
  • images of your goods (as an attachment) - we do not need an image for every item
  • your web address if you have one
  • full contact information

How we process applications

We will respond within 5 working days by email.

If other traders are already selling similar goods we may decline your application.

If your goods are approved, we'll invite you to the office to register. You will need to bring:

  • the confirmation email we sent you - a printed copy or on your phone
  • proof of your address such as a recent utility bill or bank statement - we don't accept mobile phone bills or goods invoices
  • proof of your National Insurance number such as your NI card, a pay slip or P45
  • your passport, National ID card or driving licence photocard
  • NMTF card or public liability insurance certificate with a minimum cover of £5 million

You can buy public liability insurance from an insurance broker or from:

All street traders must comply with our market standard conditions.

Read our markets and street trading FAQs.

Markets plan

The Council has launched its new Markets Plan 2022-2027, a five-year plan for Portobello Market and across Kensington and Chelsea that will see 46 actions introduced with sustainability, enterprise, events and support for traders at the forefront. You can view the full document below. 


Other local markets

The Council is not responsible for all markets in the borough. These include:

Last updated: 7 November 2022