Markets and street trading

COVID-19 national lockdown restrictions

Under the new National Lockdown: Stay at Home restrictions, all of our markets will only be able to operate with stalls trading essential items such as food and household goods. 

Please check back with us from April for an update on new applications for traders.

Visit our COVID-19 support for businesses page for details on help with traders and council run markets.

Traders looking to return in future should read through the National Market Traders Federation (NMTF’s) guide.

Markets and street trading

Our local markets are diverse and offer a variety of goods. We license traders in:

Easter Opening Hours

Markets and Office opening for Easter 2021:

Good Friday 2 April Open until 4pm 8am to 12noon
Saturday 3 April Open until 7pm8am to 12noon
Easter Monday 5 AprilCLOSEDCLOSED


Golborne Road market

  • antiques - goods over fifty years old
  • new goods including clothing, accessories and goods not being sold by any other trader
  • second hand goods

Portobello Road market

  • antiques - goods over fifty years old (Fridays only)
  • CE-marked children's toys
  • designer-maker products - goods designed and/or made by the trader
  • homeware such as bedding, kitchen ware, household goods, crockery and glassware
  • menswear
  • very unusual goods not being sold by other traders

How to apply

Before you apply, make sure you visit our markets to fact find and research the area.

To apply, email

You will need to send us:

  • a full description of the goods you want to sell
  • images of your goods (as an attachment) - we do not need an image for every item
  • your web address if you have one
  • full contact information

How we process applications

We will respond within 5 working days by email.

If other traders are already selling similar goods we may decline your application.

If your goods are approved, we'll invite you to the office to register. You will need to bring:

  • the confirmation email we sent you - a printed copy or on your phone
  • proof of your address such as a recent utility bill or bank statement - we don't accept mobile phone bills or goods invoices
  • proof of your National Insurance number such as your NI card, a pay slip or P45
  • your passport, National ID card or driving licence photocard
  • NMTF card or public liability insurance certificate with a minimum cover of £5 million

You can buy public liability insurance from an insurance broker or from:

All street traders must comply with our market standard conditions.

Read our markets and street trading FAQs.

Other local markets

The Council is not responsible for all markets in the borough. These include: