Children in employment and entertainment

Entertainment performance licences

Entertainment performance licences

Entertainment erformance licences cover all children from birth to the end of compulsory school age. The production company is responsible for completing and submitting licence applications.

These performances include:

  • theatre, pantomime
  • films, TV
  • commercials, video and the internet for commercial purposes
  • band / choir / dance show
  • modelling – all types including broadcast and non-broadcast
  • amateur drama productions
  • broadcast dance / singing competitions

A licence is not needed for children performing in a production produced by a school where the pupil(s) usually attend.

Performance Licensing is regulated under the Children and Young Persons Act 1933/63 and the Children (Performances and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014.

Applying for licence

Download an application form and submit it to the licensing officer no later than 10 working days before the first date of performance.

Children in performances require a nominated and licensed chaperone or their parents before a licence can be granted. Visit our chaperones webpage to find out more about chaperone licences.



Last updated: 29 November 2019