Council tax can be paid yearly, half-yearly, quarterly or in ten monthly instalments between April and January. Instalments are payable on the 15 of each month, but Direct Debit payers can choose from the 7, 15, 21 or 28. To set up a Direct Debit phone: 020 7368 8906
If you apply before 31 March, you can choose to pay your instalments over twelve months between April and March. To apply phone: 020 7361 3005. Payments over 12 months are payable on 15th of each month.
Where your liability to pay begins part way through the financial year the number of instalments will be reduced.
Direct debit (DD) is automatically taken from your bank or building society account, with a choice of four payment dates. Sign up using the options below or phone the DD hotline, 020 7368 8906, 24/7.
- If you are not already paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit, the quickest way to set this up is to phone our dedicated Automated Telephone Line on 020 7368 8906 or alternatively, complete the online form below
- Direct Debit Application online form - Weightless Document Format (WDF) - a file type which allows you to complete the form without downloading any special software
You can now pay your Council Tax using our secure Online Payments page. All Online Payments transactions take place through secure networks using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). This means that you will be paying your Council Tax over a secure connection and any information you send over the internet will be encrypted.
Online and telephone banking
To pay your bill online or over the phone please contact your bank quoting sort code 57-20-24 and account number 00000000, and your Council Tax account reference shown at the top of your Council Tax bill.
If you have a British issued debit card you can pay over the phone 24 hours per day by phoning 01753 379252. You need to supply your card details and your Council Tax account number.
You can make an international transfer of funds using this information:
- International Bank Account number (IBAN) = GB06 NWBK 50301025062697
- Bank Identification Code (BIC) = NWBKGB2L
- Bank account Number = 25062697
- Sort Code = 50-30-10
- Bank address = Nat West plc, Royal Garden Branch, 55 Kensington High Street, London, W8 5ZG
Please quote your Council Tax reference number when making payment.
You should make cheques payable to the "RB of Kensington and Chelsea". Send them to:
- Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
- P.O.Box 189,
- NE32 9AZ
- Please write your account number and name and address clearly on the back of the cheque or enclose your bill. We do not send receipts for postal payments unless you ask for one and provide a stamped, addressed envelope. If you send cash through the post, send it by registered mail.
All Post Offices have Payzone facilities and will be able to take your payment. You can also pay at other Payzone outlets which accept Council Tax payments. Please ensure that you take your Council Tax bill with you as the barcode on the front of the bill will enable the payment to be allocated directly to your Council Tax account.
You can find your nearest Post Office or participating Payzone outlet by clicking on these links:
You can pay at the Cashier's Office at:
- The Town Hall
10.00pm to 4.00pm (Monday to Friday) and closed for lunch between 12:00 noon to 2:00pm
All instalments are normally due on the 15 of each month however direct debit payers can choose from four payment dates: 7, 15, 21 or 28. If you do not keep to your instalment arrangements, you risk losing your right to pay by instalments.
If you wish to change the method or frequency of your payments please contact us or visit us at the Customer Service Centre, Kensington Town Hall at the address above.
If you miss payments we will send a reminder that payment is due. The Council is only obliged to send one reminder, so if you default on two or more payments during the year you will lose the right to pay by instalments. We may also take legal action against you to recover the full amount due for the year, plus extra costs.
In certain circumstances you may be able to make a special arrangement to pay even though we have begun legal proceedings. However, if this arrangement is not kept then further action may be taken.