Under-occupation Scheme

What is it?

If you have spare bedrooms in your property, which you no longer need, the Under-occupation Scheme could help you with a move.

Who is eligible?

Anyone who lives in either a Council or housing association property who wishes to move to downsize (move to a smaller property).

What are the benefits of downsizing?

  • You will be paying lower rent.
  • You will be paying lower bills, such as council tax charges, gas and electricity.
  • A smaller home will be more manageable and need less housework.
  • You may wish to move to another area in the borough but have not been able to do so, due to the expense of moving and low points awarded on the housing register.

How it works

If you qualify as an under-occupier you may receive the following:

  • high points and priority on the housing register to move
  • a dedicated officer to oversee the move
  • help with arranging your removals
  • connections and disconnection of appliances
  • a cash incentive (depending on how many bedrooms you are freeing up)
  • help with decorations at your new property (the cost of this will be deducted from any cash incentive you receive).

If you are in a large property and have an adult child living with you, we could consider offering you two properties in exchange for your larger one as long as you are freeing up a bedroom.

Some housing associations have their own Under-occupation Scheme, but by joining our scheme too, you are open to all housing association properties as well as Council properties. This gives you a broader choice of both properties and areas to choose from, as well as getting all the benefits.

How to find out more

In person:

Customer Service Centre
The Town Hall
Hornton Street
London W8 7NX

Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm

By phone:
Housing Opportunities Team 020 7361 3272

By email: