Buildings insurance

The Council is responsible for insuring the structure and buildings of all its properties, and leaseholders pay towards this cost as part of their service charges.

Leasehold properties (not tenanted) are currently insured under Policy No: 10/006460/05500428, which is placed with Zurich Insurance. The next policy renewal date is 1 April 2023.

For full details on what the policy covers, excludes and other general information on excess and payment limits please read the Schedule of Insurance, Insurance Policy Endorsement and Insurance Policy documents:


The building insurance policy covers the cost of reinstating your leasehold asset and your share of the communal parts of the building (as demised to you in the lease) for the insured perils listed.

The current insurance policy is on a re-instatement basis and a sum insured per property. The Council has estimated the typical re-instatement sum for a property in your block based on external valuations.

The reinstatement value includes permanent fixtures and fittings such as kitchens, bathrooms and fixed permanent flooring. If you have renewed these elements of your home, or have chosen to install high-end value elements, you should consider if your individual sum insured needs increasing.

What ‘reinstatement value’ means

The reinstatement value is the amount it would cost to rebuild your home in its current location from scratch should the worst happen, and the building be destroyed. It is not the market value (the price you may achieve if you should sell your property). The market value is often much higher than the reinstatement value.

Finding out your property’s reinstatement value

Please contact either Home Ownership (HM-Homeownership@rbkc.gov.uk or 020 7605 6464) or Insurance Services (Insurance@rbkc.gov.uk )who will be able to confirm your current reinstatement value.

You must tell the Council if your current reinstatement value needs to change

The current reinstatement value is set as an average value across all the properties in the building. If you have carried out any major alterations with the Council’s permission (such as installing a top-end kitchen or bathroom or building an extension) the amount needed to reinstate may need to increase to ensure adequate cover.

Where alterations or extensions have been carried out, or a conservatory or other building has been erected, without landlord’s consent, you may not be fully covered in the event of a major incident.

How to know if the level of cover is adequate

If you are unsure if the level of cover is adequate, you are advised to arrange for the flat to be surveyed and valued for insurance purposes by a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) qualified surveyor. You should pass this information to the Insurance Services (Insurance@rbkc.gov.uk) who will ensure that the change is made.

You need to be sure your property is insured for the right value as it is your asset. The following is for guidance only.

Adjusting for size of property and bedrooms, typically the following would be the expected re-instatement cost:

  • Kitchen (depending on the specification) between £5,000 and £20,000
  • Bathroom (according to the fittings chosen) between £4,500 and £11,000

  • Shower Room (again, depending on fittings chosen) between £4,500 and £11,000

  • Flooring (these vary greatly) usually around £25 to £100 per square metre

For example, a one-bedroom property with a £20,000 kitchen may be considered high-end and could mean the re-instatement value should be checked by a RICS qualified valuer.

Who to tell that an increase may be needed

Please contact Insurance Services at: Insurance@rbkc.gov.uk or Insurance Services, Kensington Town Hall, Hornton Street, London, W8 7NX

How do I make a claim?

Claims are to be notified as soon as possible, with full details to be provided within 30 days of the claim (7 days in respect of riot or malicious damage) including supporting evidence in writing. The Police must be notified as soon as possible in the event of theft or malicious damage.

  • telephone: 0800 923 4200 (this line is operated 24/7 and will therefore also provide out of hours assistance).
  • email: homeclaims@uk.zurich.com
  • post: Zurich Municipal, PO Box 411, Fareham, Hampshire, PO15 7ZS.

Home Contents Insurance

We strongly recommend that you organise your own contents insurance to protect your belongings and to cover damage to your possessions. We do not insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism or burst pipes.

The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea offers a home contents insurance policy specifically designed for tenants and leaseholders with Royal Sun Alliance. Visit the Home contents insurance page for details.

Last updated: 14 April 2022