Home contents insurance

The Council insures the buildings you live in but does not insure the contents of your home. We strongly recommend that you take out contents’ insurance. ​

We work with Royal Sun Alliance to arrange a contents insurance scheme designed specifically for tenants. ​It covers your belongings in the event of fire, theft, vandalism or water damage, such as burst pipes. ​​

The scheme is flexible so you can pay weekly, fortnightly, monthly or annually. ​

You can choose different levels of cover, starting from as low as £4,000 and there is no excess to pay, should you need to claim. ​​

There is also an option to extend the standard cover to include:

  • full accidental damage for your household’s contents
  • your personal belongings away from the home
  • pedal cycles
  • wheelchairs
  • hearing aids

If you are interested and would like to find out more, you can:

  • download a copy of the application form and the policy wording booklet
  • call Royal Sun Alliance Group on 03456 718172 for more information about the scheme.

You can also ask our customer services centre to send you a printed copy or collect one from your local neighbourhood office​.

Some of our tenants have contents insurance with Thistle My Home, a special tenants’ scheme set up by the National Housing Federation. The Council’s new relationship with the Royal Sun Alliance Group does not affect this and your insurance is still valid. You can continue to renew your contents insurance with Thistle My Home or seek alternative quotations.

Last updated: 27 October 2021