Apply for a HMO licence
How to apply
- Licence applications are made on-line (link below). Please have the following available before you start a new licence application:
- Name and addresses of persons or organisations with an interest in the property, such as freeholders, leaseholders, managing agents, mortgage provider.
- The date of birth of the appointed licence holder.
- Floor plan, including all room sizes.
- Property facilities, including information on bathrooms, WCs and kitchens/cooking facilities.
- Details about the property structure and safety equipment.
- Current Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), current Gas Safety Certificate, current Test Certificate for the fire alarm system, current Test Certificate for the emergency lighting.
- Payment card details.
Mandatory HMO licence
A Mandatory HMO licence is required when five or more people forming two or more households share facilities (kitchen, bathroom or WC). If the property is a flat in a purpose-built block containing more than two flats, an Additional HMO licence should be selected instead.
Additional HMO licence
From the 1 June 2023, an Additional HMO licence is required when three or more people forming two or more households share facilities. These properties will usually be shared houses or shared flats. If the property is a flat in a purpose-built block containing only two flats a Mandatory HMO licence will be applicable instead. Applications for Additional HMO licences can be made from 1 May 2023.