Houses in multiple occupation HMO

Applying for a licence

When should I apply for a licence?

Licensing of HMO (House in multiple occupation) came into effect from 6 April 2006. Landlords will need to request an application pack from Environmental Services.

Do I have to apply for a licence for each property?

Yes. A HMO licence will only be valid for one property at time. If you have more than one property then a licence will be required for each of them. The Council is considering discounts for landlords with several properties.

I have properties in different local authority areas. Do I have to apply to each of them?

Yes. Each local authority is responsible for determining and issuing a licence in their area. This allows local authorities to take their local needs and policies into account when making their decision.

How long will it take?

The length of the application process will vary as each case is different. Upon receipt of a valid application we aim to determine your application for a licence as soon as possible.

How to apply

Please read the notes and fill out the application form.


Last updated: 27 October 2021