Houses in multiple occupation HMO

HMOs exempt from licensing

These include:

  • buildings, or parts of buildings, occupied by no more than two households each of which comprise a single person (that is. two person flat shares)
  • buildings occupied by a resident landlord with up to two tenants
  • buildings managed or owned by a public body (such as the police or the NHS) or an LHA or a Registered Social Landlord
  • buildings where the residential accommodation is ancillary to the principal use of the building, for example religious establishments, conference centres and such like
  • student halls of residence, where the education establishment has signed up to an Approved Code of Practice
  • buildings regulated otherwise than under the Act, such as care homes, bail hostels etc, and the description of which are specified in regulations
  • buildings entirely occupied by freeholders or long leaseholders

Last updated: 27 October 2021