Proof of ownership

Proof of ownership

To apply for a resident's parking permit, you must prove that you are the keeper or main user of the vehicle.

Your own vehicle

If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle, you must produce the vehicle registration certificate (DVLA form V5C). This shows your name and the address in Kensington and Chelsea.

If you have just bought the vehicle, we will accept your insurance documents and either your new keeper supplement (V5C/2) or a sales invoice (from a garage or dealers). We can then issue you with a three-month permit.

Hire and lease vehicles

If you are hiring the vehicle, you must produce the contract hire agreement showing your name and the name of the lease-hire company.

Company/employer owned vehicles

If you have a vehicle which is owned by your employer, you will need to provide a letter dated within the past three months naming you as an employee who has exclusive use of the vehicle. The letter should be signed by the company secretary or someone with similar authority. We won't accept a letter signed by you.

You must also provide either the V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate or the lease/hire agreement.

If the company has just purchased the vehicle, you can provide the sales invoice and the insurance cover note. We will then issue a three-month permit.

Vehicles that are registered abroad

By law, UK residents must tax and register their vehicles in the UK before they drive or park them on the public highway. If you are a visitor to the UK you may keep your  foreign registered vehicles here for up to six months.

As we do not issue permits to visitors, only to residents, we will not issue permits for foreign registered vehicles until they have been registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Registration takes approximately two to three weeks. For more information contact the DVLA office on 0870 850 0007.

International students

If you are an international student you are allowed to keep your vehicle in the UK during your studies without re-registering it.

We will issue a permit for the period of your studies. You must provide a document from your college confirming registration and course start and end dates every time you renew your permit.


Residents with foreign registered vehicles may park in the Town Hall Car Park at a reduced rate, subject to a minimum stay of one week. Visit Hornton Street Town Hall car park for more.

New residents

If you have just moved into the borough and have not changed your documentation yet, we will send your vehicle registration certificate (V5C) to the DVLA for change of address for you.

We will issue a three-month permit if you have registered for council tax and can provide a solicitor’s letter of completion (dated within the last three months) or a tenancy agreement (valid for at least three months) as proof of residency.