Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh

1921 - 2021

It is with deep sadness that the Council and residents have learned of the death of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

The death of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Amend an application

Make non-material changes to an approved application

If you want to make minor changes to an approved application you can submit an application for non-material amendments. These are not subject to any publicity.

What is a non-material amendment?

There is no set definition of a non-material amendment, but it is a minor change. We will consider your application and decide if you will need a new application.

We could reject your application for a non-material amendment if your proposal involves any of the following (this list is not exhaustive):

  • alteration(s) which would need to be the subject of consultation with neighbours, technical groups, consultees or others before we can reach an informed decision or to avoid prejudicing that party
  • reinstating any feature objected to as part of the original permission
  • removing any revision negotiated when the application was first considered
  • conflicting with the requirements of a condition on the original permission
  • moving any building
  • significantly increasing the volume of a building
  • significantly increasing the internal content of a building, even if the overall size is not significantly larger
  • increasing the height of a building
  • adding equipment or other structure to a roof
  • adding a window that may cause overlooking
  • amending the site area
  • altering any ground level
  • amending the description of the development or introducing new element(s) which were not part of the original scheme
  • significantly altering the external appearance of the permitted proposal
  • amending the external materials or finishes in a way that would have a significant impact on the appearance of the development
  • amending the proposal in a way which reduces the design quality of the development originally permitted
  • alteration(s) which, when taken with previously approved non-material amendments, would amount to a material change, and alteration(s) which make the development conflict with the development plan or national guidance

Minor material amendments

If your amendment isn't classed as non-material then you may need to apply for minor material amendments. This is called a Section 73 application (S.73) or a variation of planning condition.

A S.73 application allows you to substitute revised plans for those that have already been approved.

S.73 application form