Your rent

Rent refunds

You can ask for a rent refund if your current rent account is in credit or if you are a former tenant with a credit balance.

Please note that any other outstanding charges will be deducted from your refund amount. This includes any debt on former tenancies, sub-accounts such as legal costs or rechargeable repairs, and Housing Benefit overpayments.

As a responsible landlord when making a refund, we will always ensure that your rent is covered until your next payment is due. Example: your account is £700 in credit but your monthly rent is £500. You pay your rent by monthly Direct Debit. We will only refund £200 to ensure your rent liability is covered for the month ahead, until your next payment is due.

You can apply for a refund by filling in the rent refund form and returning it to us by email or post.

We are sorry but Kensington and Chelsea Council no longer issues cheques for refunds. The monies will be paid into your bank account by BACS transfer.

If you want to ask for a refund for someone who's died

We usually pay the refund to the deceased person’s estate. We can pay the refund to you if you are the deceased person’s executor or representative.

You will need to provide us with:

  • Death certificate
  • a copy of the will
  • the grant of probate; or
  • letters of administration

Last updated: 28 March 2023