Residents' parking permits

Documents required for application of parking permit

Document filenames
If you are making an online application please ensure that any documents you upload do not have the same filename and do not contain any of the following characters. 

! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , < ? > :

Proof of residence

To apply for a resident's parking permit, you must prove you live in the borough.

You need to provide copies of two proofs of your address.

We accept:

  • Council Tax registration - we can check this for you so you don't have to send a document
  • valid driving licence
  • current council or housing trust rent statement
  • valid home contents insurance policy
  • benefits or pension statement for current financial year
  • firearms certificate
  • tenancy agreement (not handwritten and valid for the full life of the permit) or a letter from the Housing Allocation Service
  • current bank, credit card or building society statement showing your address and dated within the past three months
  • if you are an accredited diplomat, you can use a letter from your embassy as one proof of residency
  • if you are live-in staff, you can use a contract of employment as one proof of residency
  • Military personnel letter from Mears (military personnel do not need a second proof of residence)

All documents must clearly show your name and your address in the Royal Borough.

New residents

Permits are currently processed electronically to create a virtual permit. Civil enforcement Officers can check if a vehicle has a valid permit.

If you are moving into the borough and don't have the required documents, we will issue:

  • a three-month permit - if you provide:
    • a solicitor’s letter of completion dated within the last three months or
    • a tenancy agreement (not handwritten and valid for the full life of the permit) or
    • a letter from the Housing Allocation Service. 

If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle, you must arrange to have the address on your vehicle registration certificate (V5C) changed to your new Royal Borough address. It is your responsibility to arrange this in time if you wish to apply for further permits.

  • a 6 month permit if you can prove your refugee status. You can email us at [email protected]

Proof of ownership

To apply for a resident's parking permit, you must prove that you are the keeper or main user of the vehicle.

Your own vehicle

If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle, you must produce the vehicle registration certificate (DVLA form V5C) in your name and the address in Kensington and Chelsea (except military personnel, foreign students and overseas workers who may keep the vehicle in their home address).

If you have just bought the vehicle, we will accept copies of your insurance documents and either your new keeper supplement (V5C/2) or a sales invoice (from a garage or dealers) or a hire purchase agreement. We can then issue you with a three-month permit.

Hire and lease vehicles

If you are hiring the vehicle, you must produce a copy of the contract hire agreement showing your name and the name of the lease-hire company.

Company/employer owned vehicles

If you have a vehicle which is owned by your employer, you will need to provide a letter dated within the past three months naming you as an employee who has exclusive use of the vehicle. The letter should be signed by the company secretary or someone with similar authority. We won't accept a letter signed by you.

You must also provide either a copy of the V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate or the lease/hire agreement.

If the company has just purchased the vehicle, you can provide a copy of the the sales invoice and the insurance cover note. We will then issue a three-month permit.

Vehicles that are registered abroad

By law, UK residents must tax and register their vehicles in the UK before they drive or park them on the public highway. If you are a visitor to the UK you may keep your foreign registered vehicle here for up to six months. After this time, you must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

This requirement does not apply to vehicles belonging to foreign students studying in the UK and overseas workers with a HMRC Customs relief form.

International students

If you are an international student you are allowed to keep your vehicle in the UK during your studies without re-registering it.

We will issue a permit for the period of your studies. You must provide a document from your college confirming registration and course start and end dates every time you renew your permit.


Residents with foreign registered vehicles may park in the Town Hall Car Park at a reduced rate, subject to a minimum stay of one week. Visit Hornton Street Town Hall car park for more.

Proof you can drive

  • You must prove that you can drive.

  • A driving licence will be accepted from any country as long as it is current and has not expired.

  • Provisional licences are also accepted. Additional documentation is required if you are supplying a current provisional licence which must be covered with insurance. 

  • You must have proof that you are learning to drive such as proof of driving lessons or a valid theory test certificate or practical test within the past 12 months. After 3 years, you must produce a valid theory test certificate to be eligible for a permit.

  • For a motorcycle of up to 125cc, you must have proof of passing your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) test, the test date must be within the last two years.

  • You cannot apply for a permit for a vehicle owned by a company or employer with a provisional licence. 

Last updated: 29 March 2023