Flooding advice – plan and prepare before a flood
There are some steps you can take to prepare yourself and your property for flooding, including:
- Check your household insurance covers flood damage.
- Sign up to GOV.UK's flood warnings and the Met Office weather warnings.
- Register for Priority Services with utility providers if you are eligible.
- Install or obtain measures such as flood barriers, toilet pan covers or air brick covers to your property to divert water away and prevent it entering.
- Save useful contacts in your phone, such as your insurance provider (with your Policy Number), Housing Association, Thames Water, the Council and Floodline.
- Make sure you know how to turn off your gas, water and electrical supplies in an emergency.
- Put an emergency grab bag together.